Friday, January 24, 2014

It's a Sunbow Day

It's chilly outside today with winds out of the north bringing a gray overcast sky and temps only in the mid 60s.  That's quite a difference from the usual bright sunshine and upper 70s we've enjoyed for the last several weeks.  It's a good excuse to stay indoors and catch up on some computer work.  No special news or stories to tell you ............BUT..........Lee Ingram called me early this afternoon and said I should be sure to go outside and see the "Sunbow".  The what??

Wikipedia describes it as:    (Physical Geography) a bow of prismatic colours similar to a rainbow, produced when sunlight shines through spray.

Sure enough, there was a large circular rainbow surrounding the sun up high in the gray sky.  Of course you had to wear sunglasses to see it or go blind....but it was quite a marvel to see.  I wanted a photo but if I pointed my little camera up there, I'd probably burn out the lens so I called Laurel Wineinger.  Laurel is one of the gurus from the Photo Club.  She mounted a special lens on her fancy camera and got a lovely photo for me.  Thank you, Laurel.  Now we can share it with all of you.  I love the way she cleverly shielded the bright ball of sun with a palm tree.  Awesome!!