Sunday, November 13, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

What fun it is to have everyone returning and seeing all the activities swing into action again.  I had to miss horseshoes on Thursday morning though so I could attend the Medicare Seminar up in the Zuni Room with Nancy Foxen from Western Asset Protection.  I saw her big ad in the last Happenings newsletter and wanted to hear what she had to say about Medicare changes and updates.  Wow….am I ever glad I went.  For the very first time I could finally understand the difference between Medicare supplements and advantage plans.  Nancy did a great job of explaining the web of confusion that surrounds Medicare and these add on programs.  She wasn’t there to sell us anything, she was there to explain Medicare, how to enroll, review and compare plans, etc.  Thank you, Nancy for a very informative meeting.  (and the fresh muffins and coffee were delicious!)

nancy medicare blog

This board may look like a mess, but so is Medicare.  Nancy did a great job of explaining all the twists and turns.

Medicare blog

Now that I am officially retired (again), Don and I decided to try our hand at shuffleboard.  We’ve only played on cruise ships before so the fancy Palm Creek courts were a new experience for us.  There’s a lot of work involved to get the courts ready for play.  First they hand out the brooms to get rid of dirt and debris.  Then come special cloths that they drag along the court surface to pick up the fine dust.  (Yes, we have dust in this desert of ours!)  Next the crew sprinkles on the wax to make the discs glide easily down the court.  We then drew numbers and were assigned courts and partners.  I always get nervous at this stage because I didn’t know very many people, have never played here before, had zero practice, and was worried that some player would get stuck with a low scoring rookie.  My fears were laid to rest as soon as play started though.  Everyone was cheerful, helpful, and very generous with encouragement.  I was soon having a lot of fun and even managed to score a few points.  Those courts are really slick.  It just takes a minor push to sail the disc down the court. 

shuffleboard blog

Don really did his share of the sweeping but I thought a better picture was when I caught him just leaning on the broom. 

shuffleboard blog

Getting the dusters ready.

shuffleboard blog

shuffleboard blog

Sprinkling on the wax.

shuffleboard blog

Dues are $10 per person to join the group and I can understand why.  There are a lot of supplies to purchase and keep organized.  Once play started, I had so much fun that my camera stayed in my pocket.  I’ll get some better photos of actual play the next time I get over there. 

While we were in that vicinity, I snapped a couple pictures of the maintenance shop area.  We don’t stop to think about all the equipment it takes to maintain the resort.  I think about it now and then when I see some strange mower or digging equipment.  Look at all the different kinds of machines back in this area.  AND….it takes some great mechanics to keep it all in working condition.  Many hours of behind the scenes labor.

maintenance blog

blog

Friday, November 11, was Veterans Day.  In honor of the special day and date of 11-11-11, there was a nice dinner and entertainment to honor all veterans.  The meal was catered by Culvers Restaurant.  Yum!

2011-11-11_17-59-13_954

Culvers is famously known for their delicious custard too!  We were treated to custard with blueberries and strawberries.  DELICIOUS!!

2011-11-11_18-35-01_783

After dinner we were entertained by TA Burrows with his comedy and impressions.  He has performed before Bob Hope and the Prince of England plus he has opened for the Temptations, Pointer Sisters, Chicago, Rick James and more.  He certainly kept us laughing and he received a thunderous applause at the end.  A very nice evening!

2011-11-11_19-45-06_889

2011-11-11_18-23-18_360

2011-11-11_18-23-24_999

Connie and Jim at our table.  Jim lead the group in a nice prayer before dinner.

2011-11-11_17-59-28_640