Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday

What a difference a week makes around here!  We went from having lots of leisure time to suddenly having a very crowded calendar all within a few days.  Residents are returning to our resort in droves and it is sooooooo much fun to ride around and say hello to everyone, get a big hug, and briefly hear about their summer.  I can sum up the Hepler summer very easily…..HOT, DRY, and DUSTY.  It was still a very interesting summer! 

 

Remember this cactus I photographed last week with the pretty blossom on top?

blog 1809

This crazy plant amazes me.  Look at all the blossoms on it….from top to bottom.  I’ll have to drive by daily to watch them open and display their glory.  Obviously this plant LIKES hot dry weather!  A true desert dweller.

blog cactus

The tennis courts are really getting a make over this year.  A contractor by the name of Dave seems to be single handedly tackling the project of resurfacing all the courts.  He has been out there day after day working on the hot courts in the bright sun.  It appears he’s doing a fantastic job as the tennis players highly praise their new courts.  Every crack gets patched and sanded.

IMG_6736

The before and after shots are amazing.  Thank you, Dave! 

IMG_6738

Speaking of painting stripes and resurfacing, I think everyone will notice our newly paved streets and fresh painted lines.  It looks so fresh and new.

blog

blog

The back 9 of the golf course is open for play and looks great.  I think the front nine is ready to start its new growth as well.  The dirty part of the job should be done now so it should be safe for residents along the course to clean their patio once again.

2011-10-17_09-55-53_9

<cough cough sneeze>sneeze copy

blog

IMG_6750

IMG_6752

Aha………..so this is how they keep those pretty fountains in working condition.  I’m sure they all have to be cleaned and polished….perhaps change a bulb and clean the filters.  Sooo many behind the scenes chores that we just take for granted.

IMG_6748

The north end of Oasis looks like a totally different neighborhood as the new village homes emerge.  Crews are busy on that street!

krause blog

Well…..while so many folks are working hard to keep our resort beautiful, I decided to try a new sport today and headed over to the horseshoe pits.  What FUN!!  Since I’ve never thrown before, I was a little intimidated and nervous about walking in as a total newcomer to the sport but the friendly folks there immediately put me at ease and were extremely helpful in getting me started.  Believe it or not, I actually threw a couple of ringers!  I think they call that blind beginners luck but I danced and hooted anyway.  I didn’t bother to count the times they had to pull my horseshoes because they bounced in illegally.  At least I didn’t hit anybody.  Thank you to all the players for being so friendly and helpful!!    If you decide to venture over to join this group, take plenty of water and sunscreen.  It was hot out there.

IMG_6766

IMG_6772

IMG_6774