Friday, August 13, 2010

Hello Again!

We’re on the road to recovery and I’m anxious to get back to the keyboard.  I have quite an eclectic collection of photos and short stories that have accumulated in the last week or two so will pound them all out in this hodge podge posting.
First – just one more THANK YOU to all of you for your thoughts and words of comfort, caring, and encouragement during this past week.  You “Creekers” are an awesome group.  One moment also while I send a sincere loving thank you to our two sons, Anton and Kevin.  Kevin drove all the way from Kansas City to spend a few days with Dad before surgery and Anton stayed here at the house caring for our cat and our housewatch chores while we were away.  Then he ran errands, cooked meals and comforted both Don and me during the first days of recovery.  There…..I’m done with that subject.  Back to FUN things!
Landscape crews remain hard at work in this never ending heat with triple digit temps every day.  They are a hardy bunch!  I salute them for all their hard work.  You’d just never realize how much trimming it takes to keep the resort looking nice and fresh!
tour 005I believe the park is going to try composting some of the trimming debris.  I see a huge pile of brush way over behind the dirt piles in the undeveloped area of the property.  That would certainly be a great way to conserve on trips to the landfill if the project is successful.
puppy park (1)

Say hello to the folks at the puppy park.  These folks gather about the same time of day so the puppies (and people) get a chance to chat and play.


poker (2)

Texas Hold’em players still gather several days a week.  That real young looking guy to  the left of Avis is our son Anton.  Don fed him to the card sharks that day.


blog 001
Even while you are away, the mailroom stays busy.  My good friend, Connie Morin, was on duty when I went to pick up a package.




tour 016
While out on rounds, I passed by Pat Mitchell’s house and waved at her Mom, Billie Huntley.  Billie goes with us to Bingo every week & can be seen up at the SanTan room playing canasta every day without fail.


housewatch 015
Bill Wrightson is another familiar site around the park.  This day he was out taking his golf bag for a walk.  Usually he has a camera with him & has contributed some wonderful bird photos for this blog.  Bill does a lot of volunteer work for the golf course.

housewatch trim 006

Say Howdy to our Maintenance Manager, Will Updyke.  Will has the pleasant chore of driving the garbage truck to the landfill while Don is recuperating. 


dove (1)
I saw this cute baby dove sitting on a park bench & couldn’t resist a photo.  I know the doves can be a nuisance, but babies sure are cute….and I’m an avid bird lover.



dove nest

This kind of light fixture is very popular & almost every one of them winds up as a nest box for the doves while you are away. 


blog rain 016
This clever homeowner, however, found a device to keep his light fixture “dove free”.  I had to smile when I saw this one.




blog 002
I thought I’d post a photo of the flowerbed in front of my house.  It looks so nice and colorful … in the summer time when no one is here to enjoy it.  Come winter, these plants die back & look ugly.  I hate to uproot the healthy plants but they bloom in the opposite season!  Crazy!

Yesterday was “Banana Split” day up at the ballroom.  There were all kinds of fruits, chocolate, toppings, nuts, etc. that folks brought along to share so we could build our own sundaes.  It’s always nice to have an excuse to get together.
blog 004 blog 005 blog 006
COMMUNITY NEWS:
Wendys
Saw this in the Dispatch last week.  Looks like Wendy’s is going to rebuild a new facility on Florence Blvd.




I was very disappointed to read that the United Football League won’t be returning to Casa Grande!  The city built them that fantastic sports complex out by Francisco Grande Hotel and it only got used for that one season.  We enjoyed driving out there to watch their practice sessions.  Toooo bad.
ufl1ufl2
I think that brings me up to date with the latest news.  Hope there was something posted here to keep you interested.