Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another Bird Sighting

I received an email this morning from Leslie Evans:
“Here are three night herons who arrived at the north pond (13th fairway) at about 4:45 yesterday  -  waiting out a 'long hot day of summer'.  This was such a treat, as they never arrive until after dusk and you only know they're out there by their 'bark'.  After four seasons of looking for them, I finally got my fill of these beautiful night feeders.”
I’m an AVID bird watcher so am thrilled by Leslie’s photos!  Of course, I had to do some research immediately and found some interesting facts:
“With a range that spans five continents, including much of North America, the Black-crowned Night-Heron is the most widespread heron in the world. It is most active at dusk and at night, feeding in the same areas that other heron species frequent during the day.”
Special THANK YOU to Leslie for sharing!!  DSCN1236 DSCN1240 DSCN1248 DSCN1259 DSCN1261